This is one of the first clearly published uses of “neutral floor” to refer to the central median of Canal Street, and while a direct link to the use of circa-1806 may be difficult, it goes without saying that locals will reach their local vocabulary and come up with a familiar term with a wink and a healthy dose of irony. which corresponds to a comparable local situation. Note that the anonymous author put the term in quotation marks, meaning he was familiar enough to remain unexplained, but new enough to warrant conscientious punctuation. Similar uses appeared in 1837 and 1838, usually under the same date line of “The Neutral Ground”. An editorial dated 21 May 1839 mentioned the communities it separated: “The `neutral soil`. — We intend to thank the First and Second Communities. a regular dose [in connection with] the abuse on Canal Street. An article dated April 21, 1840 similarly stated: “The border war and the improvement of neutral ground on Canal Street occupy a prominent place in public opinion.” This time, the term appeared without quotation marks, which became the norm in the 1850s. The area covered by the agreement was declared closed to soldiers from both countries. The agreement also stipulated that no settlers should be allowed in neutral soil. Nevertheless, settlers from New Spain and the territory of the United States began to settle there.
After the area was recognized as part of the United States, these settlers received claims to third-class properties.  (Those who had Spanish land grants before the sale of the Louisiana Purchase to the United States received first-rate claims.) Some of the U.S. settlers would form the nucleus of the Louisiana Redbone community. This lawless zone has also attracted exiles, deserters, political refugees, fortune hunters and a variety of criminals. Eventually, highway robbers organized themselves to the extent that they occupied outposts and organized spies to better escasp travelers and avoid the American and Spanish military.  In 1810 and again in 1812, the two governments sent joint military expeditions to the area to expel outlaws. “Neutral soil” as a proper name and toponym (place name) was added to the Louisiana lexicon in 1806, a year before canal Street was created, through a military resolution over an ongoing imperial disagreement over what is now southwestern Louisiana. Spanish colonial rulers in Mexico had considered the country roughly between the Sabine and Calcasieu rivers to be the easternmost border of New Spain, while French authorities in the Mississippi Valley considered it the westernmost foothills of their Louisiana. (Why was the neutral ground of the canal so messy? Perhaps because two opposing municipalities shared responsibility for what would have transferred responsibility to the General Council – the governing body that would have been rendered ineffective by the crazy community system.